Sunday, October 19, 2008

This Week's Watchtower Study, Paragraphs 11-13

At this week's Watchtower study, paragraphs 11-13, it was discussed how lepers in Jesus' day were outcasts because leprosy was so contagious. Lepers were required to call out "leper, leper" as they walked so people would stay away from them.
The next paragraph says that according to rabbinical sources, a religious leader even threw rocks at a leper to keep him away. The next paragraph says that Jesus actually touched the leper man, showing him "dignity." and then healed him.
The paragraph says that shows how loving Jesus is.
Please understand that I am not saying that Jesus is not loving, but I believe that there is another way to look at this Bible passage.
I think that the reason the people didn't want the lepers to be near them was because they knew it would spread to them. They weren't bad people and the religious leaders were not bad or heartless. They just did not want to catch leprosy.
Jesus didn't have to worry about catching the disease because he wouldn't be adversely affected.
Of course Jesus could touch the man.

51 comments:

Voice of Reason said...

"Please understand that I am not saying that Jesus is not loving"

But you just show that you, yourself, are not a loving follower of Jesus.

You have to find fault with everything. Just consider the topic of the article. Why don't you listen to the District convention talks that this article is from?

You just don't understand the religion and you are being critical?

Anonymous said...

LGB, is this your own comment or you got it from another source?

Anonymous said...

"LGB, is this your own comment or you got it from another source? "

He would not recognize an independent thought if one came up and said Boo to him.

BOO.

Warren Lawless said...

You actually miss the entire point of what Jesus accomplished by touching the leper. He didn't have to touch the man to cure him. This was evident beacause Jesus showed he was able to cure a person even if he wasn't in close proximity. The example of Jesus raising the Roman solder's daughter from the dead even though he was a great distance from her proves this.
Again, Jesus didn't have to touch the leper to cure hem. But by reaching out and touching him, Jesus showed he really cared for the leper and had empathy for him.
A religious leader could have just avoid lepers but to throw rocks at them would have shown their complete contempt for these people. Thus Jesus reaching out to touch the leper actually showed just how much he cared.

Berean said...

"The example of Jesus raising the Roman solder's daughter from the dead even though he was a great distance from her proves this."

You probably mean it was the soldier's manservant, who was ill, not dead. Know your Bible!

That said, I cannot agree with GBL that the religious leaders were loving. If you read Matthew 23, it becomes pretty clear that most of the religious leaders were in fact heartless, just as most of them are heartless now, both inside and outside the WTS.

Philip said...

Sometimes you can put more meaning into something then is warranted. Is Jesus Loving? YES! Did Jesus touch the leper because he wanted to make a point and send some message to us that he is loving? The inspired scripture dose not comment on weather it meant anything to the leper when he touched him. We are only told he disobeyed Jesus by proclaiming what Jesus did.

Here’s an interesting point for all you “The proof that Jesus loves you is found in the touching of a leper crowed”. The only account in the Gospels that tells us how Jesus felt about this man is found in Marks account. There it says he felt pity for the man who was a leper. But in the oldest manuscript which pre dates all the others by hundreds of years say’s he did not feel “pity” for the man but that he was “angry” with the man.

Anonymous said...

Warren,

GBLetters, aka Theocratic Joker misses the point of Jesus.

Nathan said...

amen, warren! and btw. berean: I think warren mixed up two stories. the one about the soldier and the one about the presiding officer of the synagogue, jairus. that said, his message still remains right!

Voice of Reason said...

Berean said:
"That said, I cannot agree with GBL that the religious leaders were loving. If you read Matthew 23, it becomes pretty clear that most of the religious leaders were in fact heartless, just as most of them are heartless now, both inside and outside the WTS."

Jehovah's Witnesses don't really have religious leaders. There are congregation overseers but they are not religious leaders.

And the people not working at the WTS do not know whether the ones in the WTS are heartless or not because we do not experience them.

Rondes shadow said...

Ronde

Your still an idiot

d.boon said...

Theocratic Joker said:
“I think that the reason the people didn't want the lepers to be near them was because they knew it would spread to them. They weren't bad people and the religious leaders were not bad or heartless. They just did not want to catch leprosy.”

It was really because Jehovah commanded them to do so. So what is the Watchtower saying? Jehovah is not loving or compassionate but Jesus is?

Anonymous said...

Ronde wrote: "they are not religious leaders"

Lalalalalalalalala.

If you say it loud enough, some ignorant person might believe you.

Keep coming back, man. There is hope for you yet.

If you're "organized", then you have leaders.

The Pastor said...

Have you guys ever read this brother's Letter of Disassociation?

http://futuretruth.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/disassociation-letter/

I thought it was really excellent.

In the letter, he tells how comments at an online news article helped him to exit Watchtower. The article/comments he refers to are found here:
http://risingfromruin.msnbc.com/2005/10/jehovahs_roofin.html

This encourages me. It's evidence that people can read a mere comment, begin to question the Watchtower Law, and soon learn the real truth of the Bible, and leave the mind control cult.

The letter is worth a read.

To all of you Apostates, please keep up the good work!

The Pastor said...

That MSNBC link is:
http://risingfromruin.msnbc.com/2005/10/jehovahs_roofin.html

The Pastor said...

Well, not sure why that link won't paste. Let's see if this one will work:

http://tinyurl.com/nqpoz

Aldo Nova said...

Hey pastor,

Why would we care about what this person wrote? The fact that he left because of what that article or whatever said means that he was not an example in the faith.

Aldo Nova said...

Hey pastor,

That msnbc roofing link.

Thanks.

That shows how Jehovah's Witnesses are following Jesus' commands.

It shows that there are some who will put satan's words among it and find fault.

But as most of the comments show, JWs do God's work.

Warren Lawless said...

Jude's words still ring true,
"Yet these [men] are speaking abusively of all the things they really do not know; but all the things that they do understand naturally like the unreasoning animals, in these things they go on corrupting themselves." Jude 10

And again the words in Jude apply,
"May Jehovah rebuke you!" Jude 9

I am done! And I thank my God for pulling me from the cesspool that is GoverningBodyLetters.

Anonymous said...

warren wrote: "I am done!"

I'm sorry to hear that. Please keep reading, if even if you don't comment.

Anonymous said...

aldo wrote: "Why would we care about what this person wrote?"

As Sarah Palin would say, "Right back at ya!"

Anonymous said...

Somebody wrote: "The fact that he left because of what that article or whatever said means that he was not an example in the faith."

The comment on the article turned on his critical thinking skills. Only after much careful and prayerful study did he leave Watchtower.

Anonymous said...

warren wrote: "my God for pulling me from..."

Does that mean that SATAN pulled you TO this blog?

Let the brothers pray with you and confess to them that you've been feeding at the cesspool of the demons.

Only then, will you have a clean [Watchtower] conscience.

friend of voice of reason said...

Warren Lawless...under your blogger profile, you have:
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff...and it's all small stuff--- Richard Carlson. Ph.D. (This book changed how I view life).


I find that interesting that a book from a doctor (Not the Bible) changed your outlook on life.

Do you thank Richard Carlson, Ph.D as much or more than you thank God?

the truth said...

Voice of Reason...Jehovah's Witnesses don't really have religious leaders.


You can name them whatever you like...Elders, Circuit Overseers, District Overseer, Members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses...whatever.

They are the leaders of Jehovah's Witnesses. Feel free to deny it all you wish.

the truth said...

Aldo Nova said...That shows how Jehovah's Witnesses are following Jesus' commands.
But as most of the comments show, JWs do God's work.


Jehovah's Witnesses follow whatever commands issue forth from the Watchtower. Whatever work the Watchtower dictates in the pages of its journal is what JWs will abide to and admonish.

Did Jesus shun the leper as Jehovah's Witnesses are taught by the Watchtower to shun any who disassociate themselves from the organization?

JWs do God's Work? As defined by the Watchtower. If you're referring to the ministry that JWs perform, other religious organizations also have and perform a "preaching work". Just because they do not perform it exactly as JWs does not make it invalid.

Remember the ministry work that Christians perform was set up by Jesus, so you would be right in stating that it is God's work as Jesus is God.

Speaking Truth said...

I wonder how Jesus would treat individuals who left the "true religion" of His day...

Oh, that's right he made them one of his apostles or at least a disciple.

Jesus went against the supposedly "true" religion while on the Earth. It makes sense to be a follower of Christ one will do the same. Belonging to an organization is not salvation and ensures not a thing but divisions. To be a Christian is to be a follower of Christ. A religious organization may be a part of a Christian’s worship but it certainly is not required nor should it control a person's life.

Aldo Nova said...

"warren wrote: "I am done!"
I'm sorry to hear that. Please keep reading, if even if you don't comment."

Well, hey,
everything on this site is a fantasy.

Aldo Nova said...

"aldo wrote: "Why would we care about what this person wrote?"

As Sarah Palin would say, "Right back at ya!"

You mean as Tina Fey playing Palin would say.

Caribou Barbie. What a hoot.

Shawn said...

Warren Lawless said...

Jude's words still ring true,
"Yet these [men] are speaking abusively of all the things they really do not know; but all the things that they do understand naturally like the unreasoning animals, in these things they go on corrupting themselves." Jude 10

There is a fascinating cross reference in this scripture that I think really points to the real target of this scathing denunciation...

(2 Peter 2:1-13) 2 However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among YOU. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. ... 12 But these [men], like unreasoning animals born naturally to be caught and destroyed, will, in the things of which they are ignorant and speak abusively, even suffer destruction in their own [course of] destruction, 13 wronging themselves as a reward for wrongdoing.. . .
***

Jude was really speaking of these false prophets who mislead unwitting Christians. Issuing false prophesies is exactly what the Watchtower Society has been doing for over a century with one failed prediction for the end of this system after another.


And again the words in Jude apply,
"May Jehovah rebuke you!" Jude 9

It's wise of you not to bring judgment down yourself just as when Michael the Archangel told Satan "May Jehovah rebuke you!" Because in this case, you are wrong about who will receive God's judgment.

I am done! And I thank my God for pulling me from the cesspool that is GoverningBodyLetters.

Go in peace... if that's possible with the Watchtower Society publishing all of those scary pictures of Jehovah murdering 99% of the population at Armageddon. Well, at least try not to let the fear blind you too much.

The Pastor said...

aldo, I was afraid we had scared you, too. Glad to see you're here.

Anonymous said...

Came across this very interesting comment, elsewhere:

"[JWs are] free to examine the Scriptures, but only to confirm what the Watchtower Society has already printed. If the Boereans were under some sort of obligation to believe what Paul had told them, confirming it in the scriptures would have been pointless!"

Well put.

JWs can question and examine all they want, as long as they conclude that the Society is RIGHT.

Round and round and round with the circular reasoning. The slave! The slave!

Voice of Reason said...

The false one said:
"Voice of Reason...'Jehovah's Witnesses don't really have religious leaders.'

You can name them whatever you like...Elders, Circuit Overseers, District Overseer, Members of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses...whatever."

They are not leaders but overseers or supervisors or managers over their jurisdiction.

Voice of Reason said...

I don't agree.

Doing independent study and research has confirmed to me that we have the truth. Study has confirmed that Jesus is not God and that there is no life after death until the resurrection.

It is not a matter of confirming what the WTS says but independent study parallels it and goes to the same destination. So why not work with them instead of duplicating the same work?

So we conclude that the FDS, nee Society, is right because it is and because no one has proven that we are wrong.

friend of voice of reason said...

Voice of Reason, your condition is becoming worse. Have you even read back what you have written:

"So we conclude that the FDS, nee Society, is right because it is and because no one has proven that we are wrong."

Again, PLEASE seek professional help immediately. You probably are suffering from schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder. You need a psychiatrist and probably medication. In many of your comments, you're double talking, illogical and almost incoherent at times. You are mentally unstable.

Shawn said...

Voice of Reason said...

I don't agree.

Doing independent study and research has confirmed to me that we have the truth. Study has confirmed that Jesus is not God and that there is no life after death until the resurrection.

Using the New World Translation is not independent of the Watchtower Society. Take a look at how distorted this 'translation' actually is.

It is not a matter of confirming what the WTS says but independent study parallels it and goes to the same destination. So why not work with them instead of duplicating the same work?

Again, independent study only parallels the Watchtower Society's doctrine if you're using their doctored bible.

So we conclude that the FDS, nee Society, is right because it is and because no one has proven that we are wrong.

If you want to see not only how wrong the FDS is and has been, but how they tried to rewrite their own history, start reading here.

Common Sense said...

VoR said...They are not leaders but overseers or supervisors or managers over their jurisdiction.


Reads like you work for some sort of business. Let's hope this business organization doesn't work you to death.

Anonymous said...

Ronde wrote: "Study has confirmed that Jesus is not God and that there is no life after death until the resurrection."

Those conclusions are great, but they are not the ones that matter.

Only one question matters: Did Jesus select your organization in 1918/1919 as God's sole channel on the Earth?

My research has revealed the answer to that question to be 'No'.

Rondes shadow said...

Ronde
You are elevated to SUCH an idiot

Sheeplike said...

shawn said..."Using the New World Translation is not independent of the Watchtower Society. Take a look at how distorted this 'translation' actually is".

The New World Translation is not even available in all languages- yet, loads of people can see Bible truths (no immortal soul, no trinity, etc, etc) in any Bible.

The fact is, for over 50 years, Witnesses used the King James and American Standard Bibles in preaching and studying.

The good news from the Bible does not depend on what some of you have called a 'corrupted version'.

Bearded Apostate with Much Love for JWs said...

sheeplike wrote: "The good news from the Bible does not depend on what some of you have called a 'corrupted version'."

Yes, I could read in my NWT enough to learn that WT was a false prophet, so I left.

It wasn't until later did I learn what a poor translation the NWT really was.

Ironically, therefore, the NWT is good 'enough' for an honest person to learn enough about Christ to leave the JWs.

The translators have monkeyed with verses to make them fit their theology, rather than simply trying to translate the manuscripts into English.

It is well-documented and it is unforgivable.

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/Jehovah.htm

d.boon said...

There's a lot worse bibles out there has anyone read the 7th day Adventist CLEAR WORD BIBLE? Usually I prefer (not that any one is asking) An American Translation By William Beck and the Smith/Goodspeed is also Great. I'm still a fan of the Diaglott that the WT put out as well and the Bible in Living English.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the NIV and the ESV.

You can read about the team of 100+ scholars that worked on the NIV for years and years. These were learned men from various denominations. It was a collaborative project, in the open, designed to produce the most accurate translation as possible, using the best texts available.

The 'Study' Edition's footnotes, maps and references are awesome.

Even a JW should appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Back to the watchtower article paragraphs...

This is another instance where in our discreet slave manipulates the point of view to use it for their means.

in the scripture sited we can deduce these:

1.Christ belonged that time to an earthly group supposedly dedicated to God.

2.This group adheres closely to rules and traditions handed down to them through generations.

3.One of these rules/tradition is about treatment of LEPERS.

4.Christ acted differently from this accepted customs.

If we accept the LOGIC that ISRAEL typifies the WATCHTOWER ORG. and ISRAELS laws and traditions to watchtower views and counsels.
By the way, both ISRAEL and WATCHTOWER claims that they are following God's laws.

Where would we put CHRIST in that particular instance?

It is of interest especially if we consider CHRIST's treatment of other segments of society like the whores, tax collectors and sinners.

Christ deviated from the accepted customs. CHRIST is our exemplar.
Then apostle paul urged us to treat unrepentant sinners as tax collectors.

Those who have eyes will see.

I am putting these thoughts forward for the thinkers, to those who are comfortable to where they are, I let them be.

Shawn said...

Sheeplike said...

shawn said..."Using the New World Translation is not independent of the Watchtower Society. Take a look at how distorted this 'translation' actually is".

The New World Translation is not even available in all languages- yet, loads of people can see Bible truths (no immortal soul, no trinity, etc, etc) in any Bible.

First of all, having a dishonest version of the Bible translated into more languages does not make it more honest.

Secondly, the concepts that you call 'Bible truths' are at the center of the dishonesty of the New World Translation. The Bible cannon we have today was assembled by Trinitarians who were countering the Arian apostasy who were Unitarians.

There is a simple reason why Jehovah's Witnesses want a Bible that uses Jehovah rather than Lord in many New Testament verses. Because they believe that Jesus is merely God's first created son, they do not want their Bible to identify Jesus as being equal to the God of the Old Testament. They want a Bible with a New Testament that makes a distinction between Lord and Jehovah. If the New Testament identifies the One on the throne as the "Lord God Almighty" (Revelation 11:17), this would tell us that the Lord Jesus is "God Almighty." Similarly, the Old Testament often makes statements that can only be said of God. If the New Testament quotes an Old Testament verse that uses the Hebrew name of God but applies it to Jesus as Lord, this would tell us that the New Testament writer was identifying Jesus with the God of the Old Testament. This is what Paul did when he quoted Isaiah 45:23, yet applied it to Jesus. Therefore, Jehovah's Witnesses want to change these verses so that Jesus is not identified with God. They want their Bible to read "Jehovah God Almighty" in Revelation 11:17 and many similar verses. They also do not want to apply an Old Testament quotation that uses the Hebrew name of God to Jesus in the New Testament.

1. A good translation tells us the exact thoughts of the original Bible writers. The Old Testament writers used God's name over 6,800 times. A good translation of the Bible should use God's name in the Old Testament. Regrettably, many Bible translations today do not. However, the New World Translation uses the name Jehovah over 6,800 times in the Old Testament. In this area, the New World Translation has correctly told us the meaning intended by the original writers.

2. The translators of the New World Translation have used the name Jehovah 237 times in the New Testament. There is no New Testament Greek manuscript evidence that shows that the Hebrew name of God was ever used. However, if the Hebrew name of God had been used, then there would need to have been an explanation for its removal. There is no historic record of any debate among the early Christians regarding the removal of the Hebrew name of God from their Scriptures. The translators of the New World Translation mislead their readers. With no Greek manuscript or historical evidence, they changed the word Lord that was written by the inspired New Testament writers to Jehovah in 237 verses.

3. We also find serious inconsistency in the translators' use of Jehovah in the New Testament. They say that they will insert Jehovah when an Old Testament verse using the Hebrew name of God is quoted. In almost all cases they follow their rule. However, when 1 Peter 3:15 quotes an Old Testament verse using the Hebrew name of God, it is omitted in the New World Translation because it would identify Jesus as God. When Philippians 2:10-11 gives qualities to Jesus that can only be true of God, they do not acknowledge that the verse is an Old Testament quotation.

4. The translators are also inconsistent in their use of Hebrew versions. In most instances, when a Hebrew version uses the Hebrew name of God, they insert Jehovah into the New Testament verse. On the other hand, even though seven Hebrew versions use the Hebrew name of God in 1 Peter 3:15, they still do not insert Jehovah as noted above. If the translators had inserted Jehovah in this verse, it would have identified Jesus with Jehovah. Many Hebrew versions have used the Hebrew name of God to identify Jesus with Jehovah. However, the translators of the New World Translation have avoided making that identification in their own translation.

5. In certain passages, words have actually been inserted to change the meaning of the Bible. When talking about Jesus, Colossians 1:16 says, "For in Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth." However, the New World Translation says, "By means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth." Because Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was created as the first son of the Father, they have added the word "other" to this verse. The word "other" has been inserted four times in this chapter so that they can teach that Jesus was created. In verses 16 and 17 the New World Translation says, "All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist."

6. Sometimes the translators of the New World Translation give the same word from the original Greek language two different meanings so that they do not identify Jesus with Jehovah. Their own Greek New Testament uses a single word to mean "obeisance." When the New World Translation uses this word about the Lord Jesus, they translate it as "obeisance. However, when they translate the same word about Jehovah, they translate it as "worship."

7. When reading the Jehovah's Witnesses' New World Translation it is obvious that they have published a Bible for the purpose of teaching their own doctrine. They have done this by changing the meaning of the most authentic ancient Greek manuscripts of the New Testament.

The New World Translation has failed the test that says that the best Bible translation will tell us the exact thoughts of the original writers of the Hebrew and Greek portions of the Bible in a way that is easily understood in our own language. The New World Translation does not accurately translate what the New Testament writers said about Jesus.


The fact is, for over 50 years, Witnesses used the King James and American Standard Bibles in preaching and studying.

The King James Bible isn't really much better. Truly major differences between the KJV and modern translations of the New Testament are primarily due to the inaccuracy of the so-called Textus Receptus [TR], the Greek text upon which the KJV's New Testament was based. According to Bruce Metzger (The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration, Third Edition, Oxford University Press, 1992, pages 95-118), the TR primarily resulted from the work of a Dutch Roman Catholic priest and Greek scholar by the name of Desiderius Erasmus, who published his first Greek New Testament text in 1516. The first edition of Erasmus' text was hastily and haphazardly prepared over the extremely short period of only five months. (ibid., page 106) That edition was based mostly upon two inferior twelfth century Greek manuscripts, which were the only manuscripts available to Erasmus "on the spur of the moment" (ibid., page 99).

The Greek New Testament project was seen by its publisher, Johann Froben, as a considerable commercial opportunity. (ibid., pages 98 and 102-103) Accordingly Froben expeditiously negotiated with Erasmus, who had already nobly intended to produce a Greek-Latin parallel text New Testament for the primary purpose of allowing Latin readers to become better acquainted with the original New Testament text, which he wanted to approximate as best as possible. Froben rushed Erasmus' first edition text to market, in his attempt to get it into circulation ahead of the much more methodically prepared Complutensian Polyglot Bible, which was due to be published soon. (In contrast to the five months that Erasmus used to hurriedly put his text together and get it printed and circulated, the Complutensian text required eighteen years of careful preparation before its first edition appeared. Erasmus himself said in a letter in Latin in 1516 that this first edition had been "praecipitatum verius quam editum," -- more precipitated than edited.)


The good news from the Bible does not depend on what some of you have called a 'corrupted version'.

Actually, as I illustrated above, your version of the good news on issues such as the denial of the divine nature of Jesus and the insertion of the divine name in the Christian Greek scriptures depends heavily on the corrupted version of the Bible the Watchtower Society promotes.

Voice of Reason said...

Bearded apostate who is an idiot wrote"
sheeplike wrote: "The good news from the Bible does not depend on what some of you have called a 'corrupted version'."
Yes, I could read in my NWT enough to learn that WT was a false prophet, so I left."

Nothing to do with anything.

"It wasn't until later did I learn what a poor translation the NWT really was."

No, the NWT is the best translation. None others are more accurate to the text.

"Ironically, therefore, the NWT is good 'enough' for an honest person to learn enough about Christ to leave the JWs."

Honest people do not leave the JWS.


"The translators have monkeyed with verses to make them fit their theology, rather than simply trying to translate the manuscripts into English."

And you assume the other translations' translators did not monkey with theirs to fit their theology?

the truth said...

Voice of Reason said...No, the NWT is the best translation. None others are more accurate to the text.
And you assume the other translations' translators did not monkey with theirs to fit their theology?


You are in complete denial and ignoring everything Shawn wrote. The facts are clear. The NWT is far from the best or even a good translation. Its corruption is overwhelming.

Your attack (Backed with NO FACTS) on other Bible translations does not make the NWT more accurate or accurate at all.

The inaccuracies and corruption of the NWT is clearly documented with FACTUAL statements as shown in Shawn's post. Read it again!

The FACTS are what matters. Mot yours, not mine or anyone else's opinion.

d.boon said...

It seems to me that the translator’s of the New World Translation’s intention was to make the reading as laborious as possible take for example 2 Corinthians 5:16, thinking of it retrospectively it seems designed to get you to the next sentence so you can look for an explanation through context, and when no explanation can be found you just forget about it and carry on to the next verse with out thinking about it. To tell the truth I didn’t realize I didn’t understand this verse until I was reading it in the Goodspeed translation. You’ll find this to be the case in many other verses.
One thing I used to say about our translation was, “at least when we add words we show it by use of brackets.” But I just got a new Deluxe Version for my son and they took the brackets out. Can you believe it? There goes that defense. Oh well…

Ringwielder said...

'And you assume the other translations' translators did not monkey with theirs to fit their theology?'

Finally you are making a little sense VOR. You are exactly right! The Bible has been corrupted by all religions, including JWs.

How can anyone know what is the truth?

The 1000's of Christian sects argue amongst themselves over the meaning of ancient Hebrew words, versions of the Bible and doctrine.


If I wrote a book of instructions for life and people interpreted it in thousands of different ways, some diametrically opposed to each other, that would call into question MY credentials as a writer, not the people who read my book.

If God cant even clearly communicate with his creation, and then punishes them for not interpreting it correctly, what sort of Creator is He? Not one I would care to know.

Another View said...

Ringwielder said... If I wrote a book of instructions for life and people interpreted it in thousands of different ways, some diametrically opposed to each other, that would call into question MY credentials as a writer, not the people who read my book.

I don't believe that logic follows through. If I write something and people take what I wrote and twist and re-write what was orginally written by me, how does that place my credentials in jeopardy? The fault lies with the people translating it, not the original author.

Nonetheless, your point about anyone having truth and JWs being no better than any other religion, I agree 100%.

No-one has absolute truth and JWs are no better than any other religion, and possibly quite worse than many of them.

Ringwielder said...

'I don't believe that logic follows through. If I write something and people take what I wrote and twist and re-write what was orginally written by me, how does that place my credentials in jeopardy?'

Ok... but surely the Creator of the Universe should have the power to make known the unadulterated truth about himself. If he has allowed imperfect humans to twist and re-write so that no-one knows what the real truth is, then in my opinion He is responsible to some extent for the confusion and even the bloodshed that has occurred between Christians throughout the centuries.

Anonymous said...

Ronde wrote: "Honest people do not leave the JWS."

Oh really... to say that all JW's are honest is fallacy.