Monday, September 6, 2010

The Jehovah's Witnesses Redefine Irony

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/198477/1/PZ-Myers-mocks-Latest-Awake

Biologist and science blogger PZ Myers has commented on the upcoming Awake magazine in today's blog at Pharyngula.

You can now download the latest issue of Awake, the Jehovah's Witness's strange little magazine. The theme of this issue is those marching militant atheists, so it's a little bit personal.

"Unfortunately, I was only able to read as far as the second sentence before I was blinded by the irony." - PZ

A new group of atheists has arisen in society. Called the new atheists, they are not content to keep their views to themselves - Awake

A new group of atheists has arisen in society. Called the new atheists, they are not content to keep their views to themselves.
That's right. The door-knockin', rabidly proselytizing cult is rebuking atheists for not keeping their views to themselves.

I guess that's fair. Twice now I've watched in anticipation as the local JWs do their thing, working their way up the street, only to see them look at my house, check a piece of paper they carried with them, and turn around to leave. There was also a third time when a couple actually knocked on my door, started their little spiel, and I interrupted them to tell them I was an atheist, would they like to come in and talk about freedom from religion? And they ran away.

So it's true, I suppose, that they do have limits on the expression of their views.

No comments: